This Turkish Drink Has So Many Benefits – Salep!!!
This amazing Turkish drink has spread all over the world. Besides its exotic taste it has amazing health benefits. This drink is well known since the Ottoman Empire. It is prepared from tubers of wild orchids. They are harvester, washed, boiled and dried. After this they are grounded into a powder giving the drink a specific flavor. Its best when consumed hot. It is used when having flu, cold, cough or bronchitis.
Salep also helps chest congestion. It gives energy and boost sexual desire. Salep also helps constipation. You don’t have to travel to Turkey to buy salep you can easily make it at home. You can look for salep in some stores but its cheaper to make it at home. Here is how:
- 1 table spoon salep flour
- 2 cups of milk
- 2 tea spoons sugar
- you can add orange water, rose water or pistachios or walnuts ( chopped)
Here is how to prepare it:
- Put the milk in a pan. Mix the salep and the sugar and add them to the milk. Boil it slowly on warm fire and stir constantly.
- Stir this for about 10 minutes until the mixture becomes thickened.
- Remove from heat. Pour the salep in a mug and sprinkle cinnamon on top.
You can add the water or the walnuts or pistachios at the end for taste.
Usually this drink is made for the cold days when having cold, flu or any other respiratory problems. But it can also be taken in the other times just leave it to cool off and have it during the summer.