She Ate An Avocado Every Day, This is What Happened To Her High Cholesterol
Avocados are not getting the attention they deserve, but they offer many health benefits. Avocados have an excellent nutritional value and are put in the same family as cinnamon and camphor. They originated from Puebla, Mexico, where avocados were found in a cave dating back to 10000 BC! This fruit is a large berry native to Mexico and Central America. Avocados grow on trees that can reach 6 feet, and they ripen a couple of weeks after being picked (like the banana).
We already mentioned that avocados have impressive nutritional value and offer amazing health benefits. They contain many essential vitamins and minerals such as vitamin C, E, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B9 and K, iron, potassium, calcium, zinc, magnesium, phosphorus, manganese and sodium.
Here are some interesting facts about the avocado:
- Being rich in fiber, avocados can aid weight loss and make you feel full longer. The high fiber content also helps your metabolic health and regulates the blood sugar levels
- A single avocado contains more potassium than a banana – they contain 14% of this mineral versus the 10% of the banana
- They improve the body’s absorption of carotenoid by 5 times
- Avocados contain most carotenoid lutein of all fruits. The carotenoids maintain eye health and prevents macular degeneration and cataract
- Avocados are rich in beta-sitosterol. A recent study was conducted on 50 women who consumed avocados daily for a month. At the end of the study, the LDL cholesterol of the subjects was lowered by 22%, while the HDL (good) cholesterol was raised by 11%. Triglycerides were also reduced by 20%
- Folate accounts for 23% of an avocado. Folate helps you maintain your cardiovascular health and lowers the risk of both heart stroke and heart diseases. Furthermore, avocados contain vitamin E, monounsaturated fats and glutathione – all three elements are great for your heart. Folate is also good for preventing birth defects such as spina bifida and neural tube defect
- According to studies, avocados are also rich in oleic acid, which prevents breast cancer, inhibits the tumor growth in prostate cancer and eliminates cancerous cells.