Tap water is full of chlorine, and also with chloramine, a toxic gas and popular disinfectant. Chlorine must be put in water in order to clean it, but it shouldn’t be in amounts bigger than 4 mg. However, most often the amount of chlorine found in tap water is higher. It’s always good to know how clean the water you are drinking is, and to do that, you need a tester which will determine the quality of the water and how much chlorine it contains.

Water should be filtered before drinking because high amounts of chlorine are dangerous to our body in the long-term. Drinking water full of chlorine increases the cholesterol levels, increases the risk of cancer and can also cause allergies or asthma. This toxin can harm the skin, eyes and respiratory tract. Every health organization recommends filtration of the water before drinking it in order to clean the chlorine.

How to remove chlorine

There is an easy way to remove chlorine from the water: just put a few drops of lemon juice in a glass of water and it’s done. The vitamin C present in the lemon will purify the water quickly. Water can also be purified with some vitamin C tablets. Use 1 mg. of vitamin C for a liter of water, or add more if the chlorine amount is higher.

Water filters help too, and they can be easily mounted on the faucet to provide clean tap water always. Leaving the container open helps evaporate the chlorine, but it will need about 2-3 days to completely vanish.

Boiling the water is one of the easiest and oldest methods to remove the chlorine. Just boil a larger amount of water for 15 minutes and the chlorine will evaporate.